[Los Angeles] Marxist-Humanism: Exploring A Revolutionary Framework
Chris Gardner, International Marxist-Humanist Organization and LA Tenants Union
Response by Andres, longtime Chicanx, community, and Marxist activist
In 1939, the Hitler-Stalin pact was signed and subsequent support from leftists, including Trotsky, made it clear that there was a crisis among socialists to realize a humanist alternative to Stalinism, let alone capitalism. In response Raya Dunayevskaya began her lifelong study to understand how this was possible and in the process developed an alternative philosophy dubbed Marxist-Humanism.
In our exploration of Marxist-Humanism, we will look at:
- Crisis of imagination/philosophy on the left.
- Reintroducing the active, human subject to Marxism.
- State capitalism and the nature of modern capitalism.
- From practice to theory, and the dialectics of class, race, and gender.
- Toward a dialectical, humanist, and democratic organization.
Suggested to read/view
Statement of Principles of the International Marxist-Humanist Organization https://imhojournal.org/about/
[Audio] Peter Hudis’s Introduction to Reading “Marxism and Freedom” by Raya Dunayevskaya https://imhojournal.org/articles/peter-hudiss-introduction-to-reading-marxism-and-freedom-by-raya-dunayevskaya/
Sponsored by Los Angeles Chapter, International Marxist-Humanist Organization
More information: <firstname.lastname@example.org>